Wednesday, 01. October 2014
02. 05. 14. - 16:00
A toddler rushed to hospital after breaking a thermometer and eating the deadly mercury inside was told to wait - and let the deadly metal pass out harmlessly.
And despite going to a succession of medics all the doctors told the baby's worried mum the same thing - that all they could do was to let nature take it's course.
The accident happened in Izhevsk, the capital city of the Udmurt Republic in the remote Urals region of Russia.
Klim Kamenko, aged 4, was caught chewing the thermometer by his mother Tatiana Kamenko, 32, and had swallowed almost half the lethal fluid metal by sucking it out of the smashed glass vial before she got it off him.
Doctors X-rayed the child before declaring that the mercury should pass through his system without causing damage.
Tatiana said: "I called an ambulance and they told me to wait until it passed out naturally, but I didn't trust them and so I took him to hospital, where they said the same. I still was not sure so I took him to a specialist toxicologist, and after he said the same, we decided to wait."
Elemental mercury is significantly harder to be absorbed into the body than its compounds and as the metal in the thermometer is elemental, it should be able to pass through the body without serious harm, say experts.
Rare Bald Ibis Makes Microlight Flight To Italy
The project to introduce an extinct bird back to Europe is hailing success after successfully negotiating a new route over the Alps and training 14 Northern Bald Ibises how to fly south to winter feeding grounds in southern Tuscany.
Pat On The Back From Manure Explosive
A traffic cop in Austria got more than he bargained for after a booby trap covered him head-to-toe in manure as he was trying to catch people speeding.
Viennese Jihad Girl May Have Been Killed
Austrian police say that one of the two attractive young teenage girls who fled the country to go to Syria to fight on the side of Islamic rebels may have been killed.
Perversion of a Medical Dream
The Decline and Fall of the Otto Wagner Hospital, Vienna.
Fat Can Be Used To Burn Off Weight After New Patent Unveiled
It is being hailed as a sensation after scientists at an Austrian university patented a method that transforms fat storing cells into mini factories capable of actually destroying fat by burning it off.
Three Family Members Dead In Well Tragedy
A mother has lost her husband, her pregnant daughter and her son-in-law after a tragic accident where one of them fell into a well and the other two died while trying to carry out a failed rescue.
Brit Soldier Rescued After Climbing Mountain In T Shirt
A British soldier who tackled the frozen Austrian Alps wearing just shorts and a T-shirt has been rapped by officials after he had to be rescued from the snowy peak.
Mum And Daughter Struck By Lightning In Pool
A mother and her daughter were hospitalised after they were struck by lightning – in a swimming pool.
Police Nab Porn Star Who Filmed In Local Church
A woman accused of making a porn movie in a local church has been caught after an informant tipped off police that he recognised her by her breasts after an appeal for information.
Young Hip Hop Dancer Gets 18 Years For Drug Smuggling
A blonde hip hop dancer and charity worker promised an international career after she was spotted by a talent scout has been jailed for 18 years in Indonesia after her work offer turned out to have been part of an elaborate drugs con.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Porn Scandal Over Latvian PM Press Aide|
|Evil Dad Hunted By Cops After Beating Son To Force Wife Back|
|High Speed Segway Chase Nabs Crook|
|Bystander Almost Killed When Car Explodes|
|Granny Cures Eye Problems By Licking Eyeballs|
Why suffer in silence. Let off steam by letting our readers share your troubles. File your complaints about anything and everything here.
Our ombudsman David Rogers will try and help solve some of the problems from lazy civil servants through to incompetent companies – and at the very least the worst transgressors will end up in our weekly special report.