Wednesday, 03. September 2014
23. 05. 14. - 16:00
Spanish hairdresser Iris Castroverde, 30, ended up in hospital after she was bitten on the backside by a bright green and yellow snake when she went to have a pee in her bathroom.
The mother-of-two Iris said: "I had just been talking to my husband on Skype. I was on my own with the children because he's away working in the Netherlands. After we finished talking I wanted to use the bathroom before watching a film on television.
She said that she had just sat down on the toilet when she heard a strange noise coming from the pipes in the wall at her home in the town of Naron, in north-western Spain. She said: "I could hear something behind the wall and I was trying to work out what it might be as I hadn't heard it before. After that everything happened really quickly, I became aware that there was something moving in the toilet bowl, then I heard a splash and then an intense pain on my backside. I stood up with the snake still hanging onto my backside but then it dropped back into the water, and disappeared back up the pipes from where it had come."
The woman had grabbed two bottles of bleach and put them down the toilet and said she was pretty certain that the snake had gone by then. She said: "I flushed the toilet to send the bleach after it but I don't know if I got it.
"I guess the snake was about 30 centimetres long, and once I poured the bleach down the toilet I realised it was probably poisonous because my backside started to go numb."
She said she had then called an ambulance and arranged for her husband's parents to come and look after the kids while she was taken to hospital in an ambulance where she was given several injections to counter the venom from the snake.
A hospital spokesman said: "We found four incisor marks in the buttock near the perineal area, and we followed standard practice for snake bites which includes a tetanus and rabies shot as well as administering an antidote. We had to remove the poison from the wound but some of it had spread into the body and we needed to give her an injection to counter that."
Police and firemen closed the block of flats where Iris lived and searched for a sign of the snake but after finding nothing allowed locals back, including kids from a kindergarten on the ground floor of the building.
Iris said: "I still feel really ill from the snake bite and the injections I got at the hospital. By the time I had arrived at the hospital I couldn't move my leg at all. I was back at work after 24 hours though because there so much to do, and in any case I can't sit down at the moment."
Three Family Members Dead In Well Tragedy
A mother has lost her husband, her pregnant daughter and her son-in-law after a tragic accident where one of them fell into a well and the other two died while trying to carry out a failed rescue.
Brit Soldier Rescued After Climbing Mountain In T Shirt
A British soldier who tackled the frozen Austrian Alps wearing just shorts and a T-shirt has been rapped by officials after he had to be rescued from the snowy peak.
Mum And Daughter Struck By Lightning In Pool
A mother and her daughter were hospitalised after they were struck by lightning – in a swimming pool.
Police Nab Porn Star Who Filmed In Local Church
A woman accused of making a porn movie in a local church has been caught after an informant tipped off police that he recognised her by her breasts after an appeal for information.
Young Hip Hop Dancer Gets 18 Years For Drug Smuggling
A blonde hip hop dancer and charity worker promised an international career after she was spotted by a talent scout has been jailed for 18 years in Indonesia after her work offer turned out to have been part of an elaborate drugs con.
Teen Dying Of Cancer Killed At Charity Event After Ride In Porsche Goes Wrong
The family of a sick boy who was offered a trip in a high-performance Porsche because he was dying of cancer is suing the charity after the Porsche he was travelling in crashed head-on into oncoming traffic.
Japanese Pervert Planned Natascha Kampusch Style Kidnap
A Japanese man inspired by Austrian pervert Wolfgang Priklopil kidnapped a 10-year-old girl and kept her in a purpose-built cellar where he planned to train her to become the perfect wife.
German Hiker Yodels For Help After Getting Trapped In Cattle Grid
A portly hiker dressed in traditional Lederhosen was rescued after he yodeled for help after getting stuck for three hours in a cattle grid.
Austrian Wine Grower Sets New Record For Maturing Grapes
An award-winning Austrian winegrower is believed to have set a new record after leaving harvested grapes for an incredible nine months before fermenting them to create an ultra-sweet white and red wine.
Austrian Castle Owner Shocked By Airplane Wheel In Duck Pond
An Austrian castle owner got a shock after discovering this massive aircraft wheel had landed in his duck pond.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Brit Soldier Rescued After Climbing Mountain In T Shirt|
|Hair Today Gone Tomorrow As Woman Auctions 2 Metre Mop|
|VIDEO How I Butchered Mum-to-Be To Steal Baby|
|Woman Robbed Blind After Gunman Fires At Her Face|
|Hundreds Of Escaped Snakes Terrorise Chinese Neighbourhood|
Why suffer in silence. Let off steam by letting our readers share your troubles. File your complaints about anything and everything here.
Our ombudsman David Rogers will try and help solve some of the problems from lazy civil servants through to incompetent companies – and at the very least the worst transgressors will end up in our weekly special report.