Wednesday, 17. September 2014
10. 07. 14. - 15:00
A Chinese husband is recovering after he swallowed a dozen paperclips after a furious row with his wife.
And because 26-year-old Abei Niu, who was drunk at the time, had straightened all of the paperclips before swallowing them, several had pierced the lining of his abdomen and damaged other organs causing incredible pain and almost costing him his life.
The man from the city of Guangzhou in south-east China's Guangdong province had swallowed the straightened paperclips more than two months ago after a furious row with his wife when he returned home late after drinking heavily with friends. He said that when she saw he had come home drunk there had been a furious argument and he had decided to eat the paperclips before going to bed, straightening them to make them easier to swallow.
Speaking from his bed at the Zhujiang Hospital of the Southern Medical University in Guangzhou after the operation, he said he had tried to avoid admitting what he had done, but the pain had become unbearable.
He said: "I was so angry at my wife that I wanted to kill myself to show what life would be without me – I felt she didn't appreciate me. It was stupid and I blame it on the alcohol. The next day when I woke up I didn't want to say any think and I hoped that the paperclips would come out naturally. I did pass some of the clips in the normal way but I had constant stomach pains. I didn't tell anyone what I had done but after I admitted it to my wife, she told my family and they forced me to come to hospital."
Medics said that if the man had left it any later he would have died.
Hospital spokesman Sun Lin said: "He was admitted with severe pains in the abdominal region, as well as a high fever and bloody diarrhoea. Fortunately he admitted straight away what the problem was rather than trying to hide it and doctors were able to carry out an x-ray to locate 8 paper clips that he had swallowed a few months ago. The nickel plated steel strips each measured around 8 centimetres in length."
They hospital added that the operation to remove the wire clips was a success and the man is expected to make a full recovery.
Pat On The Back From Manure Explosive
A traffic cop in Austria got more than he bargained for after a booby trap covered him head-to-toe in manure as he was trying to catch people speeding.
Viennese Jihad Girl May Have Been Killed
Austrian police say that one of the two attractive young teenage girls who fled the country to go to Syria to fight on the side of Islamic rebels may have been killed.
Perversion of a Medical Dream
The Decline and Fall of the Otto Wagner Hospital, Vienna.
Fat Can Be Used To Burn Off Weight After New Patent Unveiled
It is being hailed as a sensation after scientists at an Austrian university patented a method that transforms fat storing cells into mini factories capable of actually destroying fat by burning it off.
Three Family Members Dead In Well Tragedy
A mother has lost her husband, her pregnant daughter and her son-in-law after a tragic accident where one of them fell into a well and the other two died while trying to carry out a failed rescue.
Brit Soldier Rescued After Climbing Mountain In T Shirt
A British soldier who tackled the frozen Austrian Alps wearing just shorts and a T-shirt has been rapped by officials after he had to be rescued from the snowy peak.
Mum And Daughter Struck By Lightning In Pool
A mother and her daughter were hospitalised after they were struck by lightning – in a swimming pool.
Police Nab Porn Star Who Filmed In Local Church
A woman accused of making a porn movie in a local church has been caught after an informant tipped off police that he recognised her by her breasts after an appeal for information.
Young Hip Hop Dancer Gets 18 Years For Drug Smuggling
A blonde hip hop dancer and charity worker promised an international career after she was spotted by a talent scout has been jailed for 18 years in Indonesia after her work offer turned out to have been part of an elaborate drugs con.
Teen Dying Of Cancer Killed At Charity Event After Ride In Porsche Goes Wrong
The family of a sick boy who was offered a trip in a high-performance Porsche because he was dying of cancer is suing the charity after the Porsche he was travelling in crashed head-on into oncoming traffic.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Boy Five Had Eyes Gouged Out by Satanists|
|Freaked-out Mushroom Pickers Discover Bag-loads of Amputated Limbs in the Woods|
|Sex Pest Simulator Developed For Japanese Gropers|
|Argentinian Cops Fake Car Accident|
|Pair Caught in Early Morning Underground Sex Video|
Why suffer in silence. Let off steam by letting our readers share your troubles. File your complaints about anything and everything here.
Our ombudsman David Rogers will try and help solve some of the problems from lazy civil servants through to incompetent companies – and at the very least the worst transgressors will end up in our weekly special report.