Monday, 26. January 2015
03. 09. 14. - 16:00
A hungry Indian man who ate metal bottle tops, nuts and bolts, and other pieces of scrap metal that he found after getting lost while walking home was badly injured after he then swallowed a powerful magnet.
Selva Kumar, 29, who was described by his family as being of "limited intelligence" was normally kept safe at home and only allowed out with the supervision of a family member.
But in an unguarded moment two weeks ago he had wandered off, and quickly got lost. And apparently after getting hungry he had resorted to eating metal objects including coins, pendants and pieces of wire. He had only been found after a week by his family and had instantly complained of stomach pains.
But the real damage was done when he somehow got hold of a powerful magnet and, apparently believing that might solve the problem of the metal he had eaten, swallowed it. He told his family he had not confessed to eating metal because he did not want to get into trouble.
Professor of Medicine Paavai Sumathi said: "By the time he swallowed the magnet the other metal objects were at various places in his intestinal system. They were then attracted by the magnet which pulled everything out of place and caused perforations in several places. It seems that when he got hungry he simply ate whatever he came across with a preference for metal objects, but also fragments of glass."
The man was taken to hospital with severe stomach pains were doctors quickly ascertained that they had metal objects in his stomach after an x-ray.
The metal objects weighing almost half a kilo were successfully removed after a four-hour-long surgery at the Salem Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College Hospital (SGMKMCH), in the city of Salem in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
He is currently in the intensive care unit where doctors said it would be about three days before they knew if he was going to survive and they described his condition as still critical.
First Images Of Eurovision Stage
These are the first images of the design for the Eurovision Song Contest stage unveiled in the Austrian capital Vienna which is the home of last year's winner Conchita Wurst.
Russian Mafia Boss Nabbed At Vienna Railway Station
A Russian mobster wanted for a string of brutal murders was arrested in the gentile Austrian capital Vienna when commandos swooped as he went to buy a train ticket.
Teen Girls Arrested After Offering Themselves To IS Fighters
Austrian officials who recently cracked down on terrorism by arresting several people believed to be recruiting and fundraising for ISIS have revealed two more teenage girls tried to leave the country to marry terrorist fighters.
Ebola's deadly reach impacts Vienna student
Austria has yet to record its first case of Ebola, but the feared virus has already had a severe impact on the lives of Africans living in Vienna.
Grigorij Sokolov Works His Magic At Vienna Konzerthaus
Whilst the world-famous Wizard of Oz played at the Volksoper, there was another Wizard in the Konzerthaus giving his 16th performance in Vienna!
Penelope Cruz To Play The Ice Cream Killer
The memoirs of the woman dubbed the Ice Cream Killer after she shot dead two ex-lovers before hacking the bodies up with a chainsaw and telling neighbours the noise was a new ice cream machine are due to be turned into a blockbuster with Penelope Cruz playing the lead role.
Kid Left In Coma After Beaten By Teacher For Talking
This is the shocking image of a little Chinese girl before and after she was punished by her teacher - for talking in class.
Freezing Rain Causes Chaos In Central Europe
Freezing weather has arrived in Europe with a vengeance with a layer of ice blanketing parts of Austria, Germany and the Czech Republic and causing traffic chaos.
Holey Smoke As Car Disappears Down Sinkhole
Motorist Wei Hsiao found himself in a hole lot of trouble in China when a giant sinkhole opened up on the road beneath him, swallowing his entire car.
Shock Moment Police Helicopter Explodes On Street
This is the moment a police helicopter exploded into a spinning ball of flame in Chile when a fire truck clipped one of its rotors.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|First Images Of Eurovision Stage|
|Russian Mafia Boss Nabbed At Vienna Railway Station|
|OAP Adopts Over 30 Disabled Children|
|Butterfly Boy Whose Skin Is Falling Off|
|Vigilantes Filmed Beating Woman For Talking To Man|
Why suffer in silence. Let off steam by letting our readers share your troubles. File your complaints about anything and everything here.
Our ombudsman David Rogers will try and help solve some of the problems from lazy civil servants through to incompetent companies – and at the very least the worst transgressors will end up in our weekly special report.