Sunday, 26. April 2015
© Wikimedia Commons / Christian Jansky
02. 09. 14. - 16:00
02. 09. 14. - 16:00
A mother has lost her husband, her pregnant daughter and her son-in-law after a tragic accident where one of them fell into a well and the other two died while trying to carry out a failed rescue.
Josef Honeder, 54, was the first to be caught out after heading out to go mushroom picking and failing to return home to his family in the Austrian village of Schoenbach in the Waldviertel region in Lower Austria.
His wife Angela, 51, worried when he did not return home for lunch set out to look for him – and discovered the abandoned basket of mushrooms scattered on the ground alongside the newly completed well that was being built on the family's property.
Unable to reach him alone, she had rushed back home and called for help from her pregnant 26-year-old daughter Barbara Gratzl and 32-year-old son-in-law Guenther. The couple had only been married two years and she was six months pregnant with their first child.
And while Angela called for emergency services and waited for them to turn up so she could take them to the well, her daughter and son-in-law were at the well. What appears to have happened is that her son-in-law tried to bring the older man up to the surface, but was overcome by carbon monoxide which firemen found was present in the shaft at an extremely high concentration.
When he passed out, his pregnant wife then tried to rescue him and was also overcome. She was still conscious when firemen arrived, but died in the ambulance on the way to hospital from the effects of the carbon monoxide poisoning.
Angela Honeder, who has been left with one other surviving daughter, has been left inconsolable by the tragic accident that also devastated the local community where all three were active members of village life.
A post mortem is being carried out but fire service spokesman Franz Resperger said it was clear that the gas was to blame, adding: "There was a very high concentration of carbon monoxide in the well from fermented gases that had formed from grass and greenery which had fallen into the shaft. The firemen needed breathing equipment to rescue the family otherwise they would have also been overcome.
The mayor of the town Ewald Froeschl said: "With one hit, nearly everyone this woman loved was lost. It is hard to express in words. It was a newly built well shaft. Josef had apparently gone to check on some of the work and been overcome by the fumes. The attempt to rescue him was a fatal mistake by his son-in-law and daughter.
"Our thoughts are with the family and we will do everything we can to help," he added.
Semmering Offers 50% Discount To Selected Heroes
The Magic Mountain Semmering will hold two Weeks of Heroes from 1st to 14th March as Panhans Holding Group says thank you to safety and well-being volunteers and professionals.
Skier Survived Almost Two Hours Buried Alive
A skier had a miracle escape after being buried under two metres of snow for nearly two hours during an avalanche in Austria, it was revealed last night.
Puppies Found Stuffed Inside Suitcase In Back Of Van
A litter of puppies destined for a dog farm was rescued after being found stuffed inside suitcases in the back of a van.
Kangaroo That Hopped It Spotted In Garden
Austrian police investigating reports of an escaped kangaroo have been given concrete proof after a local woman managed to photograph the animal in her back garden.
First Images Of Eurovision Stage
These are the first images of the design for the Eurovision Song Contest stage unveiled in the Austrian capital Vienna which is the home of last year's winner Conchita Wurst.
Russian Mafia Boss Nabbed At Vienna Railway Station
A Russian mobster wanted for a string of brutal murders was arrested in the gentile Austrian capital Vienna when commandos swooped as he went to buy a train ticket.
Teen Girls Arrested After Offering Themselves To IS Fighters
Austrian officials who recently cracked down on terrorism by arresting several people believed to be recruiting and fundraising for ISIS have revealed two more teenage girls tried to leave the country to marry terrorist fighters.
Ebola's deadly reach impacts Vienna student
Austria has yet to record its first case of Ebola, but the feared virus has already had a severe impact on the lives of Africans living in Vienna.
Grigorij Sokolov Works His Magic At Vienna Konzerthaus
Whilst the world-famous Wizard of Oz played at the Volksoper, there was another Wizard in the Konzerthaus giving his 16th performance in Vienna!
Penelope Cruz To Play The Ice Cream Killer
The memoirs of the woman dubbed the Ice Cream Killer after she shot dead two ex-lovers before hacking the bodies up with a chainsaw and telling neighbours the noise was a new ice cream machine are due to be turned into a blockbuster with Penelope Cruz playing the lead role.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Cyclist Disfigured After Truck Door Opens|
|Six Legged Kid Dubbed Spider Goat|
|Teacher Beats Girl As Shocked Classmates Reduced To Tears|
|Father Dresses In Drag To Raise Money For Sick Son|
|Devoted Wife Pulls Blind Hubby Around With Bamboo Stick|
Why suffer in silence. Let off steam by letting our readers share your troubles. File your complaints about anything and everything here.
Our ombudsman David Rogers will try and help solve some of the problems from lazy civil servants through to incompetent companies – and at the very least the worst transgressors will end up in our weekly special report.