Thursday, 27. November 2014
© Wikimedia Commons / Christian Jansky
02. 09. 14. - 16:00
02. 09. 14. - 16:00
A mother has lost her husband, her pregnant daughter and her son-in-law after a tragic accident where one of them fell into a well and the other two died while trying to carry out a failed rescue.
Josef Honeder, 54, was the first to be caught out after heading out to go mushroom picking and failing to return home to his family in the Austrian village of Schoenbach in the Waldviertel region in Lower Austria.
His wife Angela, 51, worried when he did not return home for lunch set out to look for him – and discovered the abandoned basket of mushrooms scattered on the ground alongside the newly completed well that was being built on the family's property.
Unable to reach him alone, she had rushed back home and called for help from her pregnant 26-year-old daughter Barbara Gratzl and 32-year-old son-in-law Guenther. The couple had only been married two years and she was six months pregnant with their first child.
And while Angela called for emergency services and waited for them to turn up so she could take them to the well, her daughter and son-in-law were at the well. What appears to have happened is that her son-in-law tried to bring the older man up to the surface, but was overcome by carbon monoxide which firemen found was present in the shaft at an extremely high concentration.
When he passed out, his pregnant wife then tried to rescue him and was also overcome. She was still conscious when firemen arrived, but died in the ambulance on the way to hospital from the effects of the carbon monoxide poisoning.
Angela Honeder, who has been left with one other surviving daughter, has been left inconsolable by the tragic accident that also devastated the local community where all three were active members of village life.
A post mortem is being carried out but fire service spokesman Franz Resperger said it was clear that the gas was to blame, adding: "There was a very high concentration of carbon monoxide in the well from fermented gases that had formed from grass and greenery which had fallen into the shaft. The firemen needed breathing equipment to rescue the family otherwise they would have also been overcome.
The mayor of the town Ewald Froeschl said: "With one hit, nearly everyone this woman loved was lost. It is hard to express in words. It was a newly built well shaft. Josef had apparently gone to check on some of the work and been overcome by the fumes. The attempt to rescue him was a fatal mistake by his son-in-law and daughter.
"Our thoughts are with the family and we will do everything we can to help," he added.
How An Austrian Park Every Year Becomes A Lake
Spectacular images that show how a park becomes a lake each spring complete with underwater trees have been captured by two divers.
Mad About Mammoths At Vienna Museum
A unique exhibition in the Austrian capital Vienna has proved a massive hit after bringing together for the first time some of the most famous frozen woolly mammoth remains.
Controversy Over Advert For Fucking Hell Beer
An Austrian political party has defended a decision to promote a local beer named after the village of Fucking.
Luigi Restaurant Cooks Up Delicious Delights For Winter Season
Brothers Luigi and Leo Doci who own the renowned Luigi restaurant chain will be cooking up a storm in Semmering this winter.
Church Porn Star In Court
A Polish-born woman who made a video of herself masturbating in church is facing six months in jail after a viewer called police when he recognised the woman.
Hugh Grant Cuddles Lamb On Animal Farm With Mrs Glock
Hugh Grant led a star-studded turnout at Austria's animal farm project which unveiled its Christmas market this week.
Cheating Wife Buries Hubby Alive For New Lover
A woman who married her sisterís fiance and then attacked him with a knife before burying him alive so she could be with her new lover is facing life in jail.
Spate of Crimes throughout Vienna and Lower Austria Solved
Four men have been arrested after committing 113 break-ins, 21 thefts and causing at least 260,000 Euros worth of damage.
Dad Punished Child, 2, With Boiling Hot Shower
A two-year-old girl is in an artificial coma and fighting for her life after her father threw her into a scalding hot shower leaving her with severe burns at the family home in the Austrian capital Vienna.
Police And Firemen Get Cold Turkey
Flipping the bird was given a new meaning in Austria this week when a truck filled with plucked turkeys overturned, closing a busy motorway in the process.
The most popular stories –
last 7 days
|Controversy Over Advert For Fucking Hell Beer|
|Mad About Mammoths At Vienna Museum|
|Plumber Zapped On Private Parts Then Impaled Finds God|
|How An Austrian Park Every Year Becomes A Lake|
|Aysha King Prague Proton Centre Doubles Prices|
Why suffer in silence. Let off steam by letting our readers share your troubles. File your complaints about anything and everything here.
Our ombudsman David Rogers will try and help solve some of the problems from lazy civil servants through to incompetent companies – and at the very least the worst transgressors will end up in our weekly special report.